HOME         ABOUT         CONTACT         STUDIO

Aug 14, 2013

Snapshot / Kali Ramey Martin

So excited to have Kali Ramey Martin of Bird is the Word on the blog today! Kali is an Oregon based chef whose blog has amazing recipes and gorgeous photos. 

What do you do?
Bird is the Word is a food blog and catering company based in Oregon wine country. It's my dream coming to life. It's about creating delicious meals and unforgettable experiences. It's my way of bringing together sights, sounds, tastes and feelings to create a meaningful and memorable meal.

Any exciting upcoming projects?
Towards the beginning of September I get to cook and set a table for a styled wedding shoot with a bunch of extremely talented, local creatives. A florist, graphic designer, fashion designer, makeup artist, photographers - the list goes on. I can't wait to be surrounded by all that talent and create something beautiful together. 

What does your typical day look like?
I'm actually still working full-time at a small cafe in wine country (Community Plate), so a typical day includes cooking or baking there for most of the day, then coming home and putting in a few hours' work on BW. It's a bit crazy at the moment, but I'm going part-time at the cafe in the fall and hoping to concentrate more on BW.

Describe your personal style/favorite places to shop at the moment?
My husband jokes that most of the items I wear could be found in a lumberjack's closet, but I like to think I've simply embraced my tomboy nature and become a true Oregonian. I'm desperate for fall to come so I can ditch the cutoffs and return to my thick wool socks, flannels and break in my new Bean Boots. I like neutral colors, clean lines, and timeless styles. I actually do a lot of thrifting and consignment shopping, but I'm constantly lusting after everything from Stevan Alan.

Favorite local places and or restaurants at the moment?
Some of my favorite places in wine country (besides the cafe where I work) are Red Hills Market, Chapters Books & Coffee and Soter Vineyards. Also, a few weeks ago I went fly fishing for the first time and fell hard for it. All I can think about is getting back out on the river and practicing my cast. 

What are you currently listening to?
I'm currently listening to the new CIvil Wars album, Jeffrey Martin's (my cousin-in-law!) Gold in the Water, and Wake Owl's Wild Country. Also, the three records my husband gave me for my birthday: Lana Del Rey's Born to Die,  Johnny Cash's At Folsom Prison, and The Beatles' Past Masters.

What are your favorite blogs at the moment?

Thanks Kali!

0 comments:

Post a Comment